First and last call for papers
13th conference of EUROPEAN RESEARCHERS IN DIDACTICS OF BIOLOGY (ERIDOB 2022)
University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, August 29th– September 2nd, 2022
Organized by the University of Cyprus
NEW Submission deadline: 31st January 2022
The Academic Committee invites researchers in Didactics of Biology/Biology Education to participate in the 13th Conference of European Researchers in Didactics of Biology (ERIDOB 2022).
ERIDOB aims to bring together researchers in didactics of Biology from around the world to share and discuss their research work and results.
IMPORTANT: Proposal submissions for ERIDOB 2022 must be made online through the EasyChair conference management system
The French aspect to the conference.
Although the conference language is English, please note that this year we also invite colleagues to present their work in French. When you submit your proposal, there will be a tick box asking if you wish to present in French instead of English. However, all proposals must still be in English for the reviewing process. We can’t guarantee this option, but we will try to group French-speaking presentations together as much as possible (it obviously depends on what proposals we receive!). French-speaking symposiums will be presented in French, with slides in French, but with matching slides also available in English for the audience to download. There will be a French-English translator for the Q&A sessions.
NB: à l’attention des francophones souhaitant communiquer au 13ième colloque ERIDOB
Bien que la langue du colloque soit l’anglais, nous invitons cette année les communicants qui le souhaitent à présenter leur travail en français. Sur la page de soumission, une case à cocher leur permettra d’indiquer s’ils souhaitent présenter leur communication en français plutôt en anglais. Toutefois, les textes de soumissions devront être rédigés en anglais pour leur examen par le comité d’experts. Sans pouvoir le garantir à 100%, le comité d’organisation s’engage à faire au mieux pour regrouper les communications en français (en fonction bien entendu du nombre de propositions). Dans les symposia francophones, les communications seront présentées en français avec des diapositives en français, mais nous demandons aux communicants de préparer également des diapositives en anglais que nous proposerons en téléchargement aux auditeurs non francophones. Des traducteurs seront présents pour les moments de questions/réponses.
Before submitting your proposal we recommend that you read carefully the guidelines in relation to the submission process, on the ERIDOB 2022 website: https://2022.eridob.org/call-for-papers/submission
Contributions should fit into one of the following strands within biology education:
- Students’ conceptions and conceptual change
- Students’ interest and motivation
- Students’ values, attitudes and decision-making
- Scientific thinking, nature of science and argumentation
- Teaching strategies and learning environments
- Teaching and learning with educational technology
- Outdoor and environmental education
- Health education
- Social, cultural, and gender issues
- Language and Biology Education*
* Language and Biology Education is a new strand created as a result of various discussions with international colleagues. It covers the full range of issues about the connection between language and Biology Education.
PLEASE make sure that your proposal reflects research in Biology Education. Proposals dealing with general Science Education research will not be considered.
Types of contributions
Papers may be presented as an oral contribution, a poster, or a symposium with at least 3 papers. In the case of a symposium, a minimum of three different countries should be represented.
Proposals for an oral or poster contribution should include the following (as outlined in EasyChair):
- Author information
- Title and abstract (250 words maximum)
- Preferred strand
- Type of presentation (oral, poster)
- A paper including: title, preferred strand, theoretical background or rationale, key objectives, research design and methodology, findings, conclusions and reference list (1000 words maximum)
Proposals for a symposium should include the following (as outlined in EasyChair):
- Author information
- Title of symposium and abstract stating the aims and purposes of the symposium as well as the connections between the papers (400 words)
- Preferred strand
- Type of presentation (symposium)
- All the papers, each in the format outlined above for an oral contribution, should be submitted as one document. Include title and abstract for each paper in this document (to be presented in the booklet)
Deadlines for ERIDOB 2022 are:
Opening of submission platform: 1 October 2021
Final submission deadline: 31 January 2022
Notification of review results: 15 April 2022
Beginning of early-bird registration: 16 April 2022
End of early-bird registration: 30 June 2022
End of registration: 10 August 2022
Proposals received after 31st January 2022 will not be considered.
Proposals will be reviewed under the following criteria:
- Research: Is the proposal concerned with research in biology education?
- Subject / problem: What is the research problem or question? What is the rationale for the study? What is the theoretical framework?
- Design and methodology: What is the design of the study? Are the research methods clearly described and appropriate?
- Data analysis and findings: Are the data clearly presented? Is there consistency between data and findings?
- General interest: Is the contribution of interest to European researchers in the field?
The standards, in terms of quality, will be the same for oral and poster presentations. The following criteria will be applied:
For oral presentations (including a presentation at a symposium)
- Work to be presented should be reaching completion or be complete and well thought through.
- Data should be available.
- Content should be of high interest and/or relevance.
- Specific content should not have been presented or published elsewhere.
For poster presentations
- Work may be under development.
- Findings may be tentative or not yet available.
- Content may be of less interest and/or relevance.
- Similar work may have been presented (but not published) elsewhere.
Some important rules to keep in mind
No participant may submit more than one first authored paper. The first author is assumed to present the paper unless otherwise stated.
No participant may present more than once during the conference.
The first authors/contact persons of accepted proposals will receive the ERIDOB conference guidelines for papers and the registration form.
Please note that only proposals that on the moment of submission have not been published in an international journal are eligible. The academic committee must be notified if a paper submitted to the conference has also been submitted or accepted for publication elsewhere.
ERIDOB ACADEMIC COMMITTEE
Dr Orit Ben Zvi Assaraf, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
Dr Niklas Gericke, Karlstad University, Sweden
Dr Marcus Grace, Southampton University, UK (Chair)
Dr Marie-Christine Knippels, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Dr Konstantinos Korfiatis, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
Dr Olivier Morin, University of Lyon, France
Dr Blanca Puig, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Dr Jörg Zabel, Leipzig University, Germany